Sunday 23 June 2013

Monday Night Blues

Tom Waits influenced blues, to capture the essential truth that 450,000 teachers make their classrooms "learning homes" every day and are trusted by students, parents and carers to hold the power, the real power, within a system that seems to focus on examination and inspection league tables.


Monday Night Blues


I review Lesson Plans on Monday night
Scan new curriculum content and delight
In blue crossing out political oughts
From the Matters to be taught
Leaving in what I know is right

        The classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

I open my classroom door each day
It echoes with sounds of yesterday
And in that precious time alone
I re-plan the shape and tone
And mouth the words to lead them away 

        The classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Cos.. I’m the trusted teacher and I care
The students know I'm always always there
Distant critics may spew derision
U-turning earlier decisions
I smile and point to why, how, where?

      In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Our learning journey starts - off we go
To wondrous places only we know
There's so much work to be done
Always time for joy and fun
I guide them, chide them, to and fro

     In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Meanwhile in dusty ivory towers
Politician and pundits spend their hours
Tapping out negative witticisms
Soundbites to silence criticisms
Whilst this maverick teacher empowers

 In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Locking my classroom every day
Those hurtful headlines fade away
I recap our classy time alone
And how we made this space our home
Travelling, imagining, on our way

 Oh the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

No comments: