Sunday, 23 June 2013

Monday Night Blues

Second draft - started as a Tom Waits influenced blues type number at the piano - suffering from a recent Gilbert and Sullivan tendency but I wanted to capture the essential truth that 450,000 teachers make their classrooms "learning homes" every day and are trusted by students, parents and carers to hold the power, the real power, within a system that seems to have been atomised over the last years....  Yes, the pundits hector from the margin, behind the doors... "we professionals do the work".


Monday Night Blues


As I review my Lesson Plans on Monday night
And scan new curriculum content -  I delight
In blue penning the political oughts
From the matters to be taught
And selecting what I professionally know is right

        The classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

For when I open up my classroom door each day
It echoes with the sounds of yesterday
And in that precious time alone
I re-plan the shape and tone
And mouth the words to lead them all away          (astray?)

        The classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Yes, I’m the trusted teacher in their midst and I care
For the students know it’s me who’s always there
Distant critics may spew derision
Or reverse an earlier decision
Whilst I smile and point to what and how and where

      In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Our learning journey starts and off we go
To stunning places where only we will know
There is much work to be done
And there’s always time for fun
As I guide them, chide them, challenge them to and fro

     In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Contemporaneously in dusty ivory towers
The politician and pundit spend their hours
Tapping out negative witticisms
Or balanced relative criticisms
Whilst this teacher studiously empowers

  In the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home

Then when I lock my classroom door each day
The hurtful headlines quickly fade away
As I recap our time alone
And how we made this space our home
As we travelled, on our journey, in our way

  Oh the classroom, our classroom, the classroom is our home


(so tempted to have astray as last word in Verse 2)

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to receive comments - ideas - links...